Monday, April 7, 2014
I wanted to draw the chicken. I chose some of the colors randomly, but played around with adding colors I picked on purpose and I scratched into the surface for highlights and texture.
Sunday, April 6, 2014
Last night I dreamed about a green heart with a black edge. I started this drawing by tracing with charcoal the outline of the heart randomly cut from the photo. Choosing colors randomly, too, the heart came out predominantly blue. Sorta disappointing because I wanted it to match my dream. I burnished the drawing with tissue to get the antique look of the dream heart, then decided to pick one more color, without looking, to go over it, and there it was ~ a yellow pencil (yay!). That made the heart green, as it was in my dream
Saturday, April 5, 2014
Black and white ink drawing surrounded by randomly chosen colors. My reaction to the story makes itself evident with agitated pencil strokes and scratches into the surface of the drawing.
Friday, April 4, 2014
Limited randomly chosen colors to five. Smeared on a top coat with a cream-colored pencil. Accents with ink.
Thursday, April 3, 2014
Changed the title of this series of drawings from Daily Project to Daily Practice. That's a better description of what they are and what I'm doing. I use the minutes creating the drawings to ground myself for the work and the day ahead. I'm trying to look at them as little pieces of art in their own right ~ a looser interpretation of the piece of photo reference.
Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Something different from just coloring in the lines of the photo's composition, as in the previous heart drawings. Wanted this one to stand alone as a little piece of art. Made most of the lines blurrier except for the upper right where I liked the sharp contrast of those shapes. Faded the center section from dark to light because I wanted the colors at the bottom edge of the heart to be softened by going over them with a lighter color and I wanted a dark color at the top to emphasize that hard edge.
I stained the frame with polyurethane mixed with burnt sienna acrylic and placed the gold foil on before it dried. After it dried I put on another coat of polyurethane.
The little basket...I've never woven a basket, so I was winging it here. This wooden bead, which I wanted on the shelf, insisted it did not want to be carved or distressed, it wanted a basket around it, so I obliged the best I could. I used some waxed linen I had that just happened to pick up the colors of the painting. Here's how I started it ~
I painted the top of the bead with some brown watercolor and sprayed the whole thing with poly. The piece of grape vine is painted black and glued into the hole in the center of the bead.
The heart in the window is made with Sculpey, the sculpting compound you can bake in your oven. I used a ceramic stamp I made to give it texture. I painted it with titanium white and then black/brown and wiped that off so that the texture would show, to "age" it. It is recessed in the window, glued to the back wall (or bottom of the box) with black Thai banana paper behind it. The painting surface is on foam core spacers so that it sits in front of the heart, but gives the basket room on the shelf.