Sunday, December 29, 2013

Post Square 12.28.13 ~ Terrapin Lost

Post Square 12.28.13 ~ Terrapin Lost

On Friday, December 27th, in the afternoon, the Maryland Terrapins played Marshall’s Thundering Herd at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis.

Over 30,000 football fans watched as Marshall’s quarterback Rakeem Cato worked with tight end Gator Hoskins, who caught 6 passes, ran 104 yards and made 2 of the team’s touchdowns, to beat the Terps 31-20.

Maryland isn’t unhappy with its 7-6 season, however. Their quarterback C.J. Brown told the Post journalist who covered this story that the team “had a great time at the Military Bowl”.

I chose as my detail from the Post’s cover photo a section of turf with the shadows of the Maryland players running onto the field. I turned it sideways when I was coloring it in and thought I might leave it that way, but when it was finished it seemed to suggest a landscape, so I kept it oriented as it was originally.

(Kind of funny all those pinks showing up as my random color choices, seeing how this is a football story and all.)

I burnished the 4”square colored pencil drawing with a tissue which gives the original art and an interesting patina.

I have fun coming up with the titles for these pieces. I get them from the stories and usually know what I want to call the drawing before I start it. This one I named after it was completed. “Terrapin Lost” seemed to go with the landscape idea ~ romantic and obscure.

No comments: