Saturday, June 6, 2015

6 small paintings ~ June 6

Six small pieces. The first four are 5" x 8". The last two are 8" X 12". They were all painted at the same time, using acrylic, charcoal and pastel. 

I took these paintings, while still in progress, to my crit group a few days ago for some feedback. They were just started and quite different. My friends gave me some fun suggestions, like making a bold mark, then walking away! This was after I said that I never seem to be able to leave well enough alone, I always feel the need to change a mark in some way rather than leave it raw. 




Another suggestion was to do something totally counter to what I might normally do, like use a color I never choose. I tried both of these things. The large red area in this last painting is a sample of making a mark and leaving it alone. The painting above had a huge smear of a yellow I wouldn't have normally reached for. It got covered up, but can be seen through the layers.

No comments: